Time studies are a common evaluation tool that is used to understand a manufacturing operation. A time study is often done for the following reasons:
- The improvement of processes and procedures
- The improvement of plan, office, or service area layout
- Economy in human effort and the reduction of unnecessary fatigue
- Improvement in the use of materials, machines, and manpower
- Development of better physical working environment
When done correctly, time studies provide a granular, normalized view of a multi-step process. They can be used to drive efficiency in processes, improve factory and process design, and improve the output and experience of workers.
- Some common uses for time studies include:
- Setting and standardizing step times
- Establishing KPIs for a manufacturer’s processes
- Locating and eliminating inefficiencies in processes
- Collecting data to help predict yearly output and revenue
- Tightening yearly resource and inventory planning
- Identifying skills gaps and creating targeted training initiatives.
This app is made as a starting place to quickly and easily begin moving your time studies into the digital space. Check out our blog for more information around time studies.
- Download the application from: https://tulip.co/library/apps/digital-stopwatch
- Download the Tulip Player
A couple ideas for modifications for the applications:
- Change 'Jobs' to be an Activity, or any other asset you would like to track against
- Connect to a physical barcode scanner by using device triggers
- Edit application to show the 'Duration' on the second step in real time by using a timer based trigger
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Our team will get back to you
How can we improve this article?
Character limit : 500